The Operations Department at Central Okanagan School District strives to create and maintain in an efficient and cost effective manner the buildings, grounds and equipment of the District, so that all students, staff, and the community are assured of safe, attractive and healthy environments in which to learn, work and play.
Key functions are to maintain structural, mechanical and electrical systems as well as grounds, custodial and maintenance services for all schools and district services facilities (45 schools and 13 service facilities).
We are committed to supporting the K-12 Curriculum and other district supported programs. The Maintenance and Operations staff are responsible for providing year round support for education throughout the Central Okanagan School District.
Our Maintenance and Operations Department consists of both clerical and a variety of skilled trade members that provide emergency, scheduled and preventative maintenance repair services. Department services include: work coordination, custodial, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, heating/air conditioning, audio/visual, locksmith functions, welding, fire alarm and intercom systems upkeep at all sites.
In maintaining a clean, safe and supportive environment for students, staff and the community, we provide the building environment for academic achievement.
The Project Department oversees various Annual Facilities Grants and Capital Funding projects relating to modernization of existing facilities and new construction.
Staff in the Project Department are responsible for the design, coordination and implementation of capital and school funded projects. Projects range from new school construction, major additions and renovations, asbestos removal, seismic upgrading, mechanical heating system replacements to flooring replacement, exterior painting and minor alterations. Functions include the submission of capital planning requirements to the ministry, coordination of design consultants for new school construction, additions and renovations, seismic upgrading and mechanical heating system replacements, project management of tendered construction projects (including contract management), inspection and coordination, preparation of construction drawing and specifications for implementation by district staff and administration of the Energy Sustainability, Roofing and School-Funded programs.
The Planning Department of Central Okanagan School District ensures that all students have access to quality learning environments and program choices. This department provides planning services and information to schools, families, community and community partners. Services are related to programs, program distribution, student accommodation, facility use, consultation processes, demographic analysis and enrolment projections.
Planning leads facility and infrastructure planning initiatives for managing district space, school site development, capital planning development, portable classroom space, school closure and reopening, and urban development review. It also supports various government and community partnerships, including coordinating community use of the District's facilities (including renting and leasing school space) and distributing new programs in response to community demand
The Vision of the Transportation Department of Central Okanagan School District is nto be a leader of new and emerging technologies in the enhancement of student safety and a model of excellence for our profession. To fulfill this vision, the Transportation Department has established the following goals:
- Acquire the type and number of vehicles necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the staff to perform their duties
- Manage the fleet in a manner that ensures the lowest possible operational cost while maintaining consistently high mechanical reliability
- Organize staff and maintain a facility which provides superior service, repair, dispatch, scheduling and administrative support to the customer
- Establish policies and procedures that reflect the best way to operate the fleet with the rider in mind
For more information please click here
The Vision of the Custodial Department of Central Okanagan School District is "to support education by providing a clean, safe and secure environment for all student and staff'. The Custodial Department is responsible for maintaining cleanliness of the interior and exterior within all schools and district services facilities. The objective of the Custodial Department is to maintain a clean living and study environment which includes all restrooms, classrooms, offices, work areas and play areas. Custodial Department staff maintain established levels of cleanliness in compliance with custodial routines and health and safety procedures. The Custodial Department is also responsible for furniture and office moves, classroom event support, special event support and rentals, which includes setup and take-down clean up as well as a variety of miscellaneous requests for service.
Energy & Sustainability Department
The Vision of the Energy & Sustainability Department of Central Okanagan School District is "to reduce its carbon footprint through a strategic approach". The Department has developed strategic long-term goals that will help reduce our environmental impact regarding energy conservation, waste reduction, water conservation, sustainable school grounds and sustainable transportation, by:
- Coordinating energy management and sustainability activities with the active participation of site personnel at key locations
- Identifying cost-effective energy efficiency and conservation measures and ensuring that improvements in energy efficiency and the installation of new technologies are considered for capital investment
- Identifying and allocating resources; working with utilities, government and other organizations to identify and apply for incentives and grants
- collecting and analyzing energy and driver data
- reporting annually on the energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of the district
- Recommending energy and sustainability performance targets and monitoring progress
- Encouraging energy saving and environmentally sustainable feedback from all staff and students
- Promoting ongoing staff development and training for issues related to energy and sustainability and training staff and students to be energy and sustainability champions.