Sexual Health Education classes address different topics in each grade level. In the younger grades, Sexual Health Education teachers professionally and factually discuss the physical and emotional changes that the children can expect as they approach and experience puberty. In the middle and secondary grades, topics are expanded to include adolescent sexuality, decision making, personal safety, and life-affecting issues common to young people.
Sexual Health Education Goals
1. To provide students in grades 4 through 10 with the opportunity to receive accurate, relevant, and updated information on adolescent sexuality based on BC Ministry of Education Physical and Health Education curriculum.
2. Students will gain knowledge necessary to make informed choices about their sexual health and safety, and will develop an awareness of the positive and negative consequences of the possible choices for themselves and others.
3. Sexual Health Education teachers will create a comfortable, safe, and respectful coeducational classroom climate for students to enable discussion of a range of sensitive topics dealing with adolescent sexuality and relationships.
In 2019-2020 three Central Okanagan Public School Sexual Health Education teachers present content to students in grades 4 through 10.
- Grade 4 students receive approximately 1.25 hours of instruction.
- Grade 5 students receive approximately 3 hours of instruction.
- Grade 6 students receive approximately 4 hours of instruction.
- Grade 7 students receive approximately 3.5 hours of instruction
- Grades 8-9 students receive approximately 4-5 hours of instruction each.
- Grade 10 students receive approximately 2.5 hours of instruction each.