Our Mission: To educate students in a safe, inspirational learning environment where each student develops the knowledge and skills to be a lifelong learner and healthy productive member of our global society. (Amended November 8, 2017)
Our Vision: Central Okanagan Public Schools is a progressive leader in education, which sets the standard for educational excellence and strives to ensure that each student has opportunities to succeed. (Amended November 8, 2017)
- Honesty is the building block for relationships and the basis for trust. It is the absence of falsehood and the action of full disclosure. It is the ultimate test of moral strength. When honesty is present, integrity will also be apparent.
- Responsibility is being accountable for our actions and their consequences. When we demonstrate responsibility, we are doing our best to meet the expectations of ourselves and others.
- Respect is "to consider worthy of high regard". Being respectful is an attitude of honouring people and caring about their rights.
- Empathy is a feeling of concern, compassion and understanding of another's situation or feelings.
- While recognizing individual situations and differences, Fairness is ensuring impartiality where everyone plays by the same rules.
OUR OVERARCHING GOAL
"Each Central Okanagan Public School student (K-12) will provide evidence of being a learner, thinker, innovator, collaborator, and contributor." (Amended November 8, 2017)
ATTRIBUTES OF OUR LEARNERS
A Learner is one who is engaged, resilient and seeks to understand through:
Literacy, Numeracy and Subject Competencies
Information, Media, and Technology Literacy
Self-Direction, Work Ethic and Accountability
A Thinker is one who analyzes, makes connections, inferences, asks questions, and transfers knowledge through:
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Open Mindedness and Reflection
Flexibility and Adaptability
An Innovator is one who sees possibilities and generates original ideas with value through:
Curiosity and Imagination
Creativity, Design and Performance
Initiative and Entrepreneurship
A Collaborator is one who excels at working with others to create new understanding through:
A Contributor is a citizen who participates in the local and global community through:
Finding, Following, and Sharing Passions
Respect, Empathy, and Kindness
Integrity and Ethical Behaviour
Civic and Environmental Responsibility
Embracing Diverse Cultures and Lifestyle
Board of Education Strategic Plan 2018-2021
In May of 2018, the Board of Education approved strategic directions to focus the District's work. Strategic planning has kept the Central Okanagan Public Schools as a leader in delivering public education that meets the needs of each learner and the whole child. Strategic planning has resulted in the Board of Education setting priorities that support prudent management of our fiscal resources in difficult times.
Board of Education Strategic Plan 2018-2021 - September 2019.pdf